The Social Stuff

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel Follow me on Instagram Follow me on Twitter Add me on snapchat

Tuesday 18 October 2016

I'm rubbish, so here's a recipe

I didn't weigh in last week as I couldn't get to group and I've been pretty much off plan since before then. So I'm guessing this week's weigh in will be a bit rubbish. But I'll update on Thursday/Friday!

I was eating a tin of bought lentil soup the other day and remembered an old recipe of mine off my other blog that I used to make a lot. It's easily made SW friendly with a few tweaks. The picture is of the original version, but the recipe below is the updated one:



Lentil & Sausage Soup
1/2 cup brown or green lentils
Fry light
1 medium onion
2 carrots
1 medium potato 
2 medium tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic, grated on a microplane or chopped finely
1 veggie stock cube
about 3 cups of water*
2 bay leaves
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp sage
Good squeeze (tbsp or so) tomato puree
4 syn free vegan sausages (or syn as necessary) - optional
Salt & pepper to taste

Serves: 3-4
Syn Free (if using syn free sausages)

Method:
Pour boiling water over the lentils and set aside while you prepare the rest of the veg. 

Chop the onions, potato and carrots into rough dice. Saute the onion in the olive oil and a pinch of salt for 5 minutes.

Add the garlic, tomatoes, carrots and potato and stir well and cook for a few minutes. Add boiling water from the kettle *enough to almost cover the veg (I also added a bit more as the soup was cooking so I added about 3 cups in total). Add the stock cube, tomato puree and the drained lentils and a pinch of salt & pepper. Don't go overboard on the salt if your stock cube has added salt. Add the herbs and bring to the boil, then cover with a lid and turn down to a simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes until the veggies are cooked.

Cook the sausages while the soup is simmering and leave them to cool a bit so they can be chopped.

Turn off the heat and add the sausage if still warm. If the sausage is cold, cook it for a minute or so after you add the sausage.

In the photo above I used homemade seitan sausages but I am unsure of the syns of them, so would switch them out for Linda McCartney ones instead.

Sal xXx

1 comment:

  1. Oooooo I want to make this!
    Hi!
    I'm Tam, I'm vegan and I'm back at Slimming World (I was here when I wasn't vegan back in 2010) so I know it works.
    This blog is going to be my go to for ideas!
    This recipe will be made this week as it sounds beautiful!
    Thank you!
    *goes off to scroll through the whole blog while in SW group*

    ReplyDelete